The only thing more romantic than Paris during the daytime is Paris at night. Once the sun sets and the lights come on, the entire city sparkles, and it becomes one of the most magical places in the world. When I lived in Paris, one of my favorite things to do was wander through the city at night. Maybe you want to channel Midnight in Paris, or maybe you just want to see the city from another perspective. Wondering what to do in Paris at night? This list of things to do in Paris at night will show you the best of the capital. Here are the places to visit in the City of Lights once the sun goes down, plus some Paris night tours I recommend!
For more travel inspiration, check out the best day trips from Paris!
Things to Do in Paris at Night
- Hit the Bars: I love experiencing a city’s nightlife. From relaxed speakeasies to thumping nightclubs, I love to see it all. Paris has a bar for everyone – from classic cabarets to new, themed cocktail bars. Check out a Breaking Bad-inspired molecular cocktail bar, or visit the famous Moulin Rouge. I’ve written a full guide to my favorite bars and nightclubs in Paris – check it out for more recommendations!
- Take a Tour: See the city from another perspective on a nighttime tour! Whether you want to go on a basic sightseeing tour to enjoy the city at night or want to take a sunset tour of one of the city’s historic neighborhoods like Montmartre, there are plenty of options for night tours in Paris! See more details below in the next section, where I list my favorites.
- Check Out Some Art: Paris is home to some of the best museums in the world (you can check out my full guide to art museums in Paris for more details), and some host evening events so you can admire the art after dark! The famous d’Orsay Museum is open late on Thursdays, making it the perfect spot for after-dinner art viewing. The Palais de Tokyo is a great choice if you like contemporary art, and it’s open from noon until midnight every day (except Tuesdays, when it’s closed).
- Go For a Moonlit Stroll: Just walking through the city is one of my favorite things to do in Paris. At night, the city is beautifully lit up, so I recommend going for a stroll along the Seine River, past famous monuments like the Notre Dame and Eiffel Tower, to soak it all in.
- Eat! Paris is home to some of the best food in the world, so you should obviously enjoy it while you’re there! Have a classic French meal like duck confit or steak frites at a brasserie, or splurge of some fine, Michelin-starred dining! Whatever you’re in the mood for, a great night always starts with a great meal!
Places to Visit in Paris at Night
The Seine: As I said, sometimes a moonlit walk can be the best way to experience the city at night. I love walking along the Seine, passing famous monuments and watching the reflection of the twinkling lights in the water. Could there be a more perfect way to walk off your delicious French dinner? I don’t think so.
The Latin Quarter: The Latin Quarter is really lively at night, home to a bunch of bars, nightclubs, and late-night eateries. In fact, when I lived in Paris, my friends and I would sometimes stop here for a doner kebab on our way home from a night out! Read my full guide to the Latin Quarter for more information!
The Eiffel Tower: If there’s one place you absolutely must visit at night, it’s the Eiffel Tower. This monument looks even more beautiful at night when it’s all lit up, and the tower sparkles every hour, on the hour from dusk until late (depending on the time of year). This is seriously one of the most amazing sights in Paris, so plan to stop here at least one night while you’re visiting.
Canal Saint-Martin: Looking for a lively crowd and interesting nightlife? The Canal Saint-Martin is one of the best places to visit in Paris at night. During the summer, you’ll find people enjoying wine outside, sitting along the canal. There are a ton of cool bars in this area, including Le Comptoir Général, one of my personal favorites.
Paris Night Tours
Sometimes, taking a tour at night is the perfect way to see the city. Here are two of my top picks for Paris night tours!
Bustronome: Bustronome is a unique dining experience and tour hybrid, set atop a beautiful double-decker bus with panoramic windows. My mom and I took a dinner tour with Bustronome when I was studying in Paris, and it was one of the highlights of our mother-daughter trip. This is a great way to combine fine French dining with a tour of the city (especially helpful if you’re only in Paris for a short visit)! I’ve written a full Bustronome review if you want more details about this experience.
Seine Cruises: Taking a cruise along the Seine at night is a great way to sightsee in the City of Light! I’ve taken dinner cruises and nighttime sightseeing tours, and I enjoyed them both so much. I always recommend taking a cruise along the Seine (during the day or night) for first-time visitors to Paris because it’s a great way to see some of the most beautiful and famous parts of the city in a short time.
My Perfect Night in the City of Lights
As I said, I lived in Paris for a while, and I spent so many nights exploring the city. My perfect night in the French capital would be a delicious dinner out at one of my favorite restaurants in Paris, drinks with a view, and a walk or cruise along the Seine, finishing the night at the Eiffel Tower to watch it sparkle. Let me know in the comments what you would do at night in this magical city!