Touring a city during the day is great, but nighttime is when cities like London come alive. After living in London for a year (and spending many nights out in London), I think I’ve sampled the best of this city’s nighttime offerings. Whether you want to visit a unique themed bar or stroll through a museum once the crowds have left, these are the best things to do in London at night.
Check out all my London content for more UK travel inspiration and tips!
Things to Do in London at Night
- See a Show: London has a vibrant theater scene, and I think every visitor should try to check out a show while they’re in the city. Seeing a show is a one of my favorite things to do in London at night. Grab a yummy, pre-fixe dinner in Covent Garden, and then head to the theater. I was lucky enough to see tons of shows while I was in London — I saw Hamilton, Come from Away, All About Eve, Book of Mormon, Fiddler on the Roof, and many more! Tickets can be pricey, but thankfully, I never paid full price for a show! I used the TodayTix app and show ticket lotteries to get deeply discounted tickets! I highly recommend checking this app for lotteries and cheap tickets if you’re interested in seeing a show while in London.
- Go Out in Shoreditch: Shoreditch is home to some of the most exciting nightlife in London. I was lucky enough to live in this neighborhood for a while, and I spent many London nights out hopping from bar to bar here. I love Queen of Hoxton for rooftop drinks and dancing, and Tonight Josephine is great for a girls’ night out. Check out Junkyard Golf Club, a mini-golf bar with themed courses, for a unique night out in London! Check out my top things to do in Shoreditch for more you can’t miss in this trendy neighborhood!
- Take a London Night Tour: There are several nighttime tours you can take in London! I’ve taken a few night bus tours — I went on the B Bakery Gin Lover’s Bus Tour and the Bustronome dinner tour, and both are great ways to see the city while enjoying some delicious food and drinks. You can also take standard sightseeing tours to see the city’s most famous sights at night or take a ghost tour to learn about the spookier side of the UK capital.
- Get a Drink at a Themed Bar: There are so many themed bars in London — I’ve devoted a whole article to my favorite immersive bars in the city. My top picks are ABQ (a Breaking Bad-themed bar serving DIY molecular cocktails), The Grid (a Black Mirror-esque immersive experience that’s half bar and half escape room), and Moonshine Saloon (a bar with a western theme).
- Walk Along the Thames: I love seeing a city lit up at night. A walk along the Thames is the perfect way to soak in the sights after dark! From the river, you’ll see iconic bridges like Tower Bridge and famous landmarks like Big Ben, The London Eye, and more!
- Visit a Museum: Several London museums offer “museum lates,” which are occasional events when museums keep their doors open later than usual. This can be a great way to see some of the city’s most popular museums without the daytime crowds. I went to one of the Tate Modern lates (which goes until 10:00 pm), and it was wonderful to wander the galleries and grab a drink at the terrace bar (which offers lovely views of St. Paul’s)! You can find a full list of museum lates on the Visit London website.
Nights Out in London
Whether you go for a lowkey stroll along the river to see the sites, or you go for a round of mini-golf at a themed bar, there’s so much to do in London at night. What will you choose? Let me know in the comments!
3 thoughts on “6 Things to Do in London at Night — Your Guide to Nights Out in London”
The themed bars sound fun, and I’m all for a night tour too. Great suggestions
City at night is so different! I love wandering the streets, exploring the city from a different side. Night tours you mentioned look great! Will try them out on my next visit!
Hey. I can also recommend this article about Covent Garden https://www.reasontosee.com/blog/what-to-see-around-covent-garden
Also great at night!